Molecular diagnostic services
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
+44 (0)20 7942 6189
We offer a gold-standard service for identification and verification of biological samples from individual species to whole habitats.
Our state-of-the-art facilities and in-house experts can provide a bespoke service for your research, training and consultancy needs.
The commercial applications of our work range across several industries including disease identification, bioterrorism detection, aviation industries, environmental monitoring, forensic wildlife and bioinformatics.
Our team are available for contract work as well as a full consultancy service including experimental design and technical capabilities. Contact us to discuss how we can help with your next project.
Our services and specialisms:
- We offer bespoke services for:
- Sanger sequencing from extraction through to bioinformatic species identification
- Next generation and third generation sequencing including sample preparation from a wide diversity of samples and sample types, museum collections through to diagnistics; de novo genome sequencing; SNP analysis and Transcriptomics/RNAseq.
- We can help with quantitative PCR including genotyping, comparative expression, absolute quantification and SNP analysis.
- Our nucleic acid extraction services offer both DNA and RNA extraction in dedicated labs for botanical, entomological, zoological and ancient or environmental samples.
- We offer PCR optimisation and troubleshooting as well as a PCR set-up service. Museum experts can run your initial samples, enabling you to trial the workstation. Training can also be provided for regular users.
- We have well equipped, specialist BSCL2 clean facilities for diagnostics and wider applications.
- We offer bioinformatic services as well as a local HPC.
- Our lab experts are happy to offer training and teaching across all these areas.
Get in touch with the team
Need our expertise for your next project? Contact the team to find out more about consultancy at the Museum.