Create a list of articles to read later. You will be able to access your list from any article in Discover.
You don't have any saved articles.
Follow our instructions to find out how to make animal and other natural history inspired paper snowflakes.
We have 10 free templates for you to download and print, and tips on making your own designs.
1. Turn the template over and fold diagonally in half (along blue line marked 1).
2. Fold and remove the rectangular flap with the instructions on (along red line marked 2).
3. Place the paper design face down, and fold the large triangle in half (along the blue line marked 3).
4. Place the paper design face down, with the long edge of the triangle pointing away from you.
5. Fold the left edge of the paper to meet the right-hand blue line.
6. Fold the right edge of the paper to meet the left-hand blue line, so the design is on top.
7. Cut along the top (along red edge marked 6) to create a triangle.
8. Cut away the red areas of the design using fine scissors.
9. Do the internal areas first. You can place Blu Tack or similar putty behind the paper to help you safely make small cuts.
10. Do external areas last.
11. Your snowflake is finished! Fold out your design and decorate your windows or walls.
Fancy having a go at making your own snowflake designs? Museum scientist and craft fan Alex McGoran, who designed the templates for this article, has some tips: