Create a list of articles to read later. You will be able to access your list from any article in Discover.
You don't have any saved articles.
Follow our instructions to find out how to fold a very easy origami jumping frog and discover some of the colourful species you could decorate your paper amphibian to look like.
You very likely have everything you need to create this frog at home already.
1. Fold your paper in half to create a rectangle.
If you are using paper that is coloured on one side, make sure that the colour is on the outside when the paper is folded in half. Make sure all of the folds are well creased.
2. One at a time, fold the top corners of your rectangle down and then unfold them.
3. Turn the paper over. Squeeze the sides of the paper together, so your corner folds meet in the middle, and press down.
Your paper will now have a triangular top.
4. Fold the square bottom edge of the paper up to meet the base of the triangle.
5. Fold one flap of the triangle to the opposite side, creasing in the middle. Fold in the side of your paper to the middle. Unfold the triangle flap.
Repeat step five on the opposite side.
6. Fold the bottom edge of the paper up again to the base of the triangle and fold down the two top corners diagonally.
7. Unfold and pull the corners of the base out to make a boat-shaped flap.
8. Fold down the corners of the boat-shaped flap so they meet in the middle.
9. To make the frog's legs, fold all four flaps upwards.
10. Fold the frog in half, then fold back the top edge.
11. Flip the paper over and you will have made an origami jumping frog.
12. Give your frog a face or decorate it as your favourite species using pens, paints, pencils or other decorations.
Although you can use paper that is sold specifically for origami, you can easily make an origami frog using any paper you have at home that is cut into a square.
If you use plain paper, you could decorate your frog however you like. There are a number of frogs, including many of the poison dart frogs native to South and Central America, that are very colourful.
Here are a few frogs that could inspire your decorations.