Kerney (1982) summarized the historic use of ammonite motifs in English architecture. These were used first by the London architect George Dance in 1788 on the façade of the 'Shakespeare Gallery' in Pall Mall, now demolished. Kerney (1982) suggested that Dance's 'ammonite order' was influenced by the fashion among French and English architects at the time to use primitive architectural elements. Ammonite motifs were also used on a group of buildings constructed around 1818 in Old Regent Street, most probably by John Nash, and subequently demolished in the 1920s.
The present façade of Castle Place, Lewes in Sussex, was built by Amon Wilds, who, possibly because of his name, often incorporated ammonite motifs into his buildings. A number of terraces in Brighton also employed this ammonite order of architecture. These were built after 1820 by Wild's son and partner, Amon Henry Wilds.
Other buildings known to have incorporated these elements include a house in Tunbridge Wells, and a group of stucco cottages in SE London. While these were erected at the same time as Wilds' buildings, it is unclear who built them.