Discover an extinct dodo, our historical hummingbird cabinet, and a Victorian avian anatomy display in the Birds gallery.
From endangered species to native British breeds and contemporary conservation efforts, explore the wonders of our bird collection.
Star specimens and exhibits
- cases of nesting birds dating from 1883, featuring blackbirds and storm petrels
- a selection of eggs ranging from those of the tiny hummingbird to the giant elephant bird
- two passenger pigeon specimens, a species that once numbered in the billions and is now extinct
- framed prints from John James Audubon's famous The Birds of America book
- a beautiful painting of the extinct great auk
Emperor penguin colonies abandoned after ‘unprecedented’ loss of sea ice
The breeding failure of four emperor penguin colonies is a sign of things to come, researchers have warned.24 August 2023
UK’s cuckoos unable to adjust migrations to keep up with climate change
Cuckoos are being forced into riskier migrations to get ahead of the competition.
22 June 2023
Britain has lost 73 million birds over the last 50 years
Most of the declining species are farmland birds.12 May 2023
Bird flu outbreak spreads across West African migratory route
The bird flu pandemic has reached West Africa after being detected in Senegal and The Gambia.26 April 2023