Mammals and blue whale
Discover the biggest mammals in the animal kingdom in the Mammals and blue whale gallery.
Look up and see our icon blue whale model and skeleton, seemingly swimming with the other cetacean skeletons and replicas suspended from the ceiling. On the ground examine extinct mammoths and giant elk and their living relatives, as well as giraffes, hippos and horses.
Star specimens and exhibits
- discover the swimming techniques of dolphins
- see the species that inspired mermaid stories
- examine skulls from a narwhal, or 'sea unicorn'
- compare your brain to a blue whale's
- play a detective game and find out how one species has changed over 55 million years
The Mammal Hall will be closed from Wednesday 25 November 2015, reopening on Saturday 28 November 2015.
This is to enable the installation of further scaffolding for the dismantling of the blue whale skeleton, which is part of the Hintze Hall redevelopment programme.