Discover an extinct dodo, our historical hummingbird cabinet, and a Victorian avian anatomy display in the Birds gallery.
From endangered species to native British breeds and contemporary conservation efforts, explore the wonders of our bird collection.
Star specimens and exhibits
- cases of nesting birds dating from 1883, featuring blackbirds and storm petrels
- a selection of eggs ranging from those of the tiny hummingbird to the giant elephant bird
- two passenger pigeon specimens, a species that once numbered in the billions and is now extinct
- framed prints from John James Audubon's famous Birds of America book
- a beautiful painting of the extinct great auk