(1) Any photograph you submit to the Competition must either be:
(i) the original photograph captured on camera by the young person; or
(ii) an original photograph captured on camera by the young person but submitted by you the parent or guardian on behalf of the young person.
(2) You the young person must either be the sole owner of the copyright of the photograph(s) submitted or have secured the written permission of the copyright owner or any joint owners of copyright to submit the entry(s) into the Competition. A copy of any such written permission must be supplied to us on confirmation to you that your photograph has been shortlisted for an Award.
(3) Ownership of the copyright in any entry submitted to the Competition will remain with the copyright owner(s).
(4) In consideration for the chance to win an Award for a photograph you submit to the Competition, you hereby grant to us and the Museum the right to reproduce, publicise and exhibit that photograph in any medium (including but not limited to physical copies, electronic copies and on social media) to enable it to be judged for an Award by the Jury or a public vote.
(5) Only with regards to any photograph you submit that wins an Award, in consideration for the Award and without need of further payment unless stated otherwise, you hereby grant us, the Museum, and if necessary any agents acting on our behalves, the right during the Licence Period to:
(i)reproduce and exhibit the photograph in any of the Exhibitions in print or digital format;
(ii) use the photograph in any medium (defined at clause 8(12)) to publicise and promote any of the Competitions or Exhibitions, without further payment unless stated in clause 8(5)(v) below;
(iii) sublicence the Official Sponsor(s) to use the photograph to promote and celebrate the Competition or WPY Exhibition and their relationship to them in any medium (defined at clause 8(12));
(iv) sublicence the Touring Exhibition venue or operator (a "Touring Exhibition Licensee") to print or organise printing of your photograph for exhibition in their Touring Exhibition venue, exhibit your photograph in their Touring Exhibition venue in print or digital format; and use your photograph to publicise and promote their Touring Exhibition in any medium (defined at clause 8(12)) with a right for the Touring Exhibition Licensee to further sublicence their Touring Exhibition Sponsor (if approved by NHM) to use the photograph to promote and celebrate the Touring Exhibition and the Touring Exhibition Sponsor’s relationship to it in any medium (defined at clause 8(12)) during the period of that Touring Exhibition; and/or
(v) print and publish your photograph in the annual Portfolio Book or the Highlights Book. Any decision to use such right shall be at the Museum’s discretion but if used then the Museum shall pay you the following fee: portfolio front cover £250.00; portfolio back cover £150.00; co editions front cover if not used already on UK edition £120.00; co editions back cover if not used already on UK edition £75.00; Highlights front cover £150.00; individual photographs £75.00 (may be used in both the Portfolio and Highlights for the one fee); Portfolio, Rising Star and Photojournalism stories £375.00 per collection.
(6) Other commercial opportunities may exist for you to benefit from the use of any entry selected by the Jury. Where such a commercial benefit is likely to arise, we will seek your permission in advance and provide you with an appropriate licence. Examples include:
(i) inclusion in merchandising associated with the Competition, or any of the Exhibitions, other than within the Portfolio Book and Highlights book; and
(ii) third-party merchandise licensing.
(7) The Licence Period shall:
(i) commence on the date you are notified of your Award and continue for a period five (5) years; and
(ii) after such period
a. the Museum shall retain archive (electronic or otherwise) copies of the photographs; and
b. the Museum and the Touring Exhibition Licence shall retain (electronic or otherwise) copies of promotional or commercial materials created to publicise, promote or commercialise the Competition or Exhibition
but in both cases must seek permission from you (the young person) if you are then 18 or over or otherwise from the parent or guardian acting on your behalf if we or they wish to use the photographs for any other purpose.
(8) We, the Museum and any organisations sublicensed under section 8(5) will, credit you (the young person) when using a photograph in accordance with these Rules. However, you agree, that we will not be liable to you or your parent or guardian , in the event of inadvertent omission of that credit.
(9) You must ensure that:
(i) any photographs you submit have been taken with the consent of:
a. anyone who is identifiable in that photograph; or
b. the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 16, and
(ii) those individuals have been advised:
a. that the photograph may be submitted to the Competition; and
b. that their photograph may be used in accordance with these Rules.
(10) You acknowledge that entry into the Competition does not grant any rights in relation to any names, logos or other intellectual property connected to or owned by us, the Museum or the Competition. You agree not to make any public statement using such names, logos or other intellectual property without our prior written consent.
(11) We will remind the public that copyright to the Exhibition photographs remains with the photographers and we will not directly encourage members of the public to post photos of Exhibition photographs on their personal social media accounts. However, you acknowledge that neither we nor the Museum, nor the Touring Exhibition Licensees are realistically able to prevent this from happening. You waive any right you may have (if any) to bring a claim against us, the Museum or the Touring Exhibition Licensees as a result of a failure to prevent members of the public taking or sharing photos of Exhibition photographs.
(12) The term "any medium" when used in clause 8(5) shall include but not be limited to any print, book, magazine, NHM’s stakeholders communication, digital media, applications or social media channels.
(13) We reserve the right without prior notice to disqualify an entry, or remove a photograph from any Competition or Exhibition, if in our sole discretion but acting reasonably we deem our display to be criminal or infringing any third party’s rights.