(1) Any image you submit to the Competition must either be:
(i) your original work; or
(ii) submitted by you on behalf of the photographer, in which case you must inform us of the name of the photographer, and on request by us must provide written confirmation from the photographer that you are entitled to act on their behalf and that they fully accept and are bound by these Rules themselves.
(2) You must either be the sole owner of the copyright in the entry(s) submitted or have secured the written permission of the copyright owner or any joint owners of copyright to submit the entry(s) into the Competition. A copy of any such written permission must be supplied to us on confirmation to you that your image has been shortlisted for an Award.
(3) Ownership of the copyright in any entry submitted to the Competition will remain with the copyright owner(s).
(4) In consideration for the chance to win an Award for an image you submit to the Competition, you hereby grant to us and the Museum the right to reproduce, publicise and exhibit that images in any medium (including but not limited to physical copies, electronic copies and on social media) to enable it to be judged for an Award by the Jury or a public vote.
(5) Only with regards to any image you submit that wins an Award, in consideration for the Award and without need of further payment unless stated otherwise, you hereby grant us, the Museum, and if necessary any agents acting on our behalves, the right during the Licence Period to:
(i) reproduce and exhibit the image in any of the Exhibitions;
(ii) use the image in any medium (defined at clause 8(12)) to publicise and promote any of the Competitions or Exhibitions, without further payment unless stated in clause 8(5)(v) below;
(iii) sublicence the Official Sponsor(s) to use the image to promote and celebrate the Competition or WPY Exhibition and their relationship to them in any medium (defined at clause 8(12));
(iv) sublicence the Touring Exhibition venue or operator (a "Touring Exhibition Licensee") to exhibit your image in their Touring Exhibition venue and use it to publicise and promote their Touring Exhibition in any medium (defined at clause 8(12)); and/or
(v) print and publish the image in the annual Portfolio Book or the Highlights Book. Any decision to use such right shall be at the Museum’s discretion but if used then the Museum shall pay you the following fee: portfolio front cover £250.00; portfolio back cover £150.00; co editions front cover if not used already on UK edition £120.00; co editions back cover if not used already on UK edition £75.00; Highlights front cover £150.00; individual images £75.00 (may be used in both the Portfolio and Highlights for the one fee); Portfolio, Rising Star and Photojournalism stories £375.00 per collection.
(6) Other commercial opportunities may exist for you to benefit from the use of any entry selected by the Jury. Where such a commercial benefit is likely to arise, we will seek your permission in advance and provide you with an appropriate licence. Examples include:
(i) inclusion in merchandising associated with the Competition, or any of the Exhibitions, other than within the Portfolio Book and Highlights book; and
(ii) third-party merchandise licensing.
(7) The Licence Period shall:
(i) commence on the date you are notified of your Award and continue for a period five (5) years; and
(ii) after such period the Museum shall retain archive (electronic or otherwise) copies of the images but will seek your permission if we wish to use the images for any further purpose.
(8) We, the Museum and any organisations sublicensed under section 8(5) will, credit you, or (if different) the photographer, when using an image in accordance with these Rules. However, you agree, that we will not be liable to you, or (if different) the photographer, in the event of inadvertent omission of that credit.
(9) It is your responsibility to ensure that:
(i) any images you submit have been taken with the consent of:
a. anyone who is identifiable in that image; or
b. the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 16, and
(ii) that those individuals have been advised:
a. that the image may be submitted to the Competition; and
b. that their photograph may be used in accordance with these Rules.
(10) You acknowledge that entry into the Competition does not grant any rights in relation to any names, logos or other intellectual property connected to or owned by us, the Museum or the Competition. You agree not to make any public statement using such names, logos or other intellectual property without our prior written consent.
(11) We will remind the public that copyright to the Exhibition images remains with the photographers and we will not directly encourage members of the public to post photos of Exhibition images on their personal social media accounts. However, you acknowledge that neither we nor the Museum, nor the Touring Exhibition Licensees are realistically able to prevent this from happening. You waive any right you may have (if any) to bring a claim against us, the Museum or the Touring Exhibition Licensees as a result of a failure to prevent members of the public taking or sharing photos of Exhibition images.
(12) The term "any medium" when used in clause 8(5) shall include but not be limited to any print, book, magazine, NHM’s stakeholders communication, digital media, applications or social media channels.