|Activity||Museum staff: Lowe had studied for a medical career at Guy's Hospital and worked as a civil surgeon in the Boer War from 1899, taking up ornithology as a hobby. He became private physician to Sir Frederic Johnston(e) and made six voyages with him to the West Indies during which he collected some 3,000 birds. He succeeded W.R. Ogilvie Grant to take charge of birds at the Museum in 1919 and was styled Assistant Keeper. He took charge of the bird anatomy and osteology collections on the retirement of W.P. Pycraft in 1933 bringing them under the care of the Bird Section for the first time. He represented the Museum on a Committee to advise the Home Office on matters connected with the administration of the Wild Birds Protection Acts. He was Chairman of the International Committee for the Protection of Birds in 1936. He retired 2 Jan 1935 on his 65th birthday but continued working on the osteological collections in a voluntary capacity and represented the Trustees at the International Ornithological Congress in 1938. President of the BOU 1938-1943 and Godman-Salvin Medallist 1946. He lived at Burley, near Ringwood, Hants. |
A collection of his published papers is kept in the library at MSS. LOWE.
Obituary Ibis 1949: 147-151, Portrait Ibis 1959, pl.2.