Record

Ref NoDF MIN
Alt Ref NoDF MIN
TitleMineralogy
DescriptionDF1 Mineralogy Departmental Correspondence
DF2 Registers of Mineralogy Departmental and Other Correspondence
DF3 Meteorite Section Correspondence
DF4 Mineralogy Reports to Trustees and Other Official Documents
DF5 Authorisations from Trustees Meetings
DF6 Keeper of Mineralogy's Staff Files
DF7 Keeper of Mineralogy's Subject Files
DF8 [number not in use]
DF9 Mineralogy Publications Correspondence and Artwork
DF10 Mineralogy (including Meteorites) Collection Notes, Reports and Correspondence
DF11 Reports and Correspondence on Collecting Trips and Visits
DF12 Mineral Gallery and Exhibits
DF13 Keeper of Mineralogy's Accommodation Files
DF14 Mineral Library, Correspondence and Papers
DF15 Keeper of Mineralogy's Internal Correspondence
DF16 Mineralogy Annual Reports of Progress
DF17 [number not in use]
DF18 Keeper of Mineralogy's Papers on Staff and Staffing
DF19 Mineralogy Laboratory Notebooks and Registers of Apparatus
DF20 Scientific Staff: Correspondence and Papers
DF21 Mineralogy Invoices and Accounts
DF23 Mineralogy Departmental Visitors Books
DF24 Mineralogy Pass Books
DF25 Mineralogy Parcel Books
DF26 Mineralogy Requisition Books
DF27 Mineralogy Laboratory Order Books
DF28 [number not in use]
DF29 Outgoing Mineralogy Donations Books
DF31 Specimen Loan Books
DF32 Mineralogy Accession Registers
DF33 Mineralogy Department Photograph Collection
Date1756-2001
Held_ByNHM Archives
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryThe Department of Mineralogy has its origins in the Department of Natural and Artificial Productions which was set up at the Foundation of the British Museum in 1756. In 1806 it was renamed the Department of Natural History and Modern Curiosities and was under the keepership of George Shaw (1751-1813) and later Carl Dietrich Eberhardt Konig (1774-1851) most of the records from this period remain in the archives of the British Museum, though there are a number of early letters included in DF1.

In 1837 the Department was divided into three branches, of which Mineralogy and Geology was one, and in 1856 the branch became a Department in its own right, almost immediately being divided into the two departments of Geology and Mineralogy. The first Keeper of Mineralogy as a separate entity from Geology was Mervyn Herbert Nevil Story-Maskelyne. He was succeeded by Lazarus Fletcher in 1880, who thus had the task of supervising the move from Bloomsbury to South Kensington.

The Department of Mineralogy was subsumed into the Department of Earth Sciences as part of the restructure of Science by the Director of Science in 2012.

KEEPERS OF MINERALOGY

Carl Dietrich Eberhard Konig 1813-1851
George Robert Waterhouse 1851-1857
Mervyn Herbert Nevil Story-Maskelyne 1857-1880
Lazarus Fletcher (Sir) 1880-1909
George Thurland Prior 1901-1927
Leonard James Spencer 1927-1935
George Frederick Herbert Smith 1935-1937
Walter Campbell Smith 1937-1952
Frederick Allan Bannister 1952-1953
Gordon Frank Claringbull 1953-1968
Alfred Allinson Moss 1968-1974
Arthur Clive Bishop 1975-1989
Paul Henderson 1989-1995
Robert Frederick Symes 1995-1996
Andrew James Fleet 1996-2012
Add to My Items

    © The Trustees of The Natural History Museum, London

    © CalmView