Discover the Hidden World of Trees competition
Explore: Urban Nature is a UK-wide learning programme, delivered in partnership with the Garfield Weston Foundation, which will provide young people, families and schools with opportunities to understand, explore and appreciate the nature on their doorsteps.
To celebrate the launch of the programme we're asking schools across the country to investigate the health of their local trees and kick-start the conversation about the importance of urban nature. Between 8 September and 1 October 2021, schools can submit their details for the chance to win a virtual session with a Natural History Museum scientist and one goodybag from the Museum's Gift Shop.
On 29 September, the health check will culminate in a series of local events happening for schools at our partner venues around the UK and at the Museum in South Kensington.
How can schools enter the competition?
- Choose a tree on or near the school site.
- Do a health check on the tree by looking for any evidence of common pests and tree diseases using a guide provided by the Museum, which teachers can print out if it's easier.
- Submit evidence by filling out a simple online form selecting any problems the students find and your school's location so we can see where the health checks are taking place.
- Teachers should submit their contact details to enter the competition and can sign up to our Explore: Urban Nature newsletter to be the first to hear the latest news about the programme.
- Join the conversation and share your findings on Twitter using #ExploreUrbanNature.
The competition is open to UK primary and secondary schools only. Schools have until 23.59 GMT on Friday 1 October to enter. Please see full terms and conditions below.
Competition Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions govern the #ExploreUrbanNature - Discover the Hidden World of Trees competition (thereafter known as ‘the Competition’). The Competition is promoted by the Trustees of the Natural History Museum, a corporate body, of Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD ("NHM").
Conditions of Entry
1. The Competition is only open to UK primary and secondary schools and excludes but the individual submitting the entrance must not be an NHM employee, or a member of their family or the equivalent from one of their agents or affiliates; or anyone involved in running the Competition.
2. To enter the Competition you must complete the Discover the Hidden World of Trees quiz on this webpage https://www.nhm.ac.uk/schools/explore-urban-nature/discover-the-hidden-world-of-trees.html and submit your details using the online form, which will appear once you have completed the quiz. No payment or purchase of any product is necessary to enter.
3. Multiple entries showing different trees are permitted per school.
4. The Competition commences on Wednesday 8 September 2021 at 00.00 BST and concludes on Friday 1 October 2021 at 23.59 GMT. Entries received after this time will not be eligible for consideration.
5. Only complete entries will be accepted. The NHM accepts no responsibility for any entries that are lost, incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach it by the Closing Date for any reason.
6. By entering the Competition you confirm to the NHM that all information submitted by you is correct and that you have complied fully with and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. The NHM reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants. Automated entries and entries via third parties or agents will be invalid. Entries that do not comply with these Terms and Conditions (including those containing any false information) will be invalid.
7. There will be two overall winners. The decision of the NHM regarding any aspect of the Competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
8. The winners will be selected at random by the independent agency, PromoVeritas Ltd. Registered office is at Monument House, 215 Marsh Road, London, HA5 5NE and their registered number is 04437132.
9. There will be two prizes which will be a virtual session with a Natural History Museum scientist and a goodybag from the Natural History Museum Gift Shop. The virtual session will be arranged on a mutually agreeable date on discussion with the Museum and the winners, Bank Holidays excluded. The prize will need to be fulfilled by 1 October 2022.
10. The winner will be contacted no later than 23.59 BST on Friday 8 October 2021.
11. The winners will be contacted via email to the email address that they used to enter the Competition.
12. The prize is non-transferable and the winners cannot request any alternative prize (cash or otherwise).
13. NHM will collect personal data about entrants at the time of registration, and as otherwise provided in order to administer the Competition and/or all associated activities. For more information about how NHM processes personal data please see our Privacy Notice at https://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/privacy-notice.html.
14. You further agree to participate in any reasonable publicity required by the NHM which may include the publication of your name in any media.
15. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the NHM reserve the right cancel, modify, extend or suspend the Competition. This may include replacing the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the NHM’s control make it necessary to do so. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, NHM may, at its sole discretion, exclude an entrant from participating in the Competition or the prize.
16. All details and other restrictions applying to the prize not specified in these Terms and Conditions shall be determined by the NHM in its sole discretion.
17. The NHM reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time on giving notice through its website https://www.nhm.ac.uk/schools/explore-urban-nature/discover-the-hidden-world-of-trees/competition-terms-and-conditions.html.
18. In so far as permitted by law the NHM will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except to the extent that death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of the NHM or its employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
19. You agree to indemnify the NHM and keep the NHM indemnified against any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense suffered by the NHM as a result of your entry in the Competition, including (but not limited to) any claim of infringement of intellectual property rights made by any third party.
20. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with English Law and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.