- Focus: Creating a simple, photographic guide to deep-sea fauna to improve identifications in the field
- Funding: International Network for the Scientific Investigation of Deep-sea Ecosystems (INDEEP)
We are part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), and we contribute to the World Register of Deep-Sea Species (WoRDSS).
WoRDSS is an internet database of taxonomic information on marine species that launched in December 2012.
We have now created an app, Deep-Sea ID, to work alongside WoRDSS. Deep-Sea ID gives offline access to information on more than 25,000 deep-sea species and a collection of more than 350 high-resolution images.
Deep-Sea ID was the first app developed by the Museum's Science Group, and has been downloaded over 30,000 times.
Deep-sea systematics and ecology research group
- Group overview
- Antarctic marine biodiversity and climate change
- Deep Sea ID - an app from the World Register of Deep-Sea Species
- Biodiversity in deep-sea mining exploration areas
- REX - the remotely operated vehicle for education and exploration
- Systematics and ecology of deep-sea chemosynthetic ecosystems