The Museum's Library and Archives holds one of the world's finest collections of natural history literature, artwork, photographs and manuscripts. The materials are stored across our two sites in South Kensington and Tring.
Museum librarians, scientists and generous donors help to build and maintain our comprehensive Library collection, which complements and supports the specimen collection. The Library collection is primarily aimed at Museum scientists and postgraduate researchers, but the materials are available to anyone who wishes to use them.
The Museum Archives contain the institutional archive of the Natural History Museum, providing a unique resource that documents the history of our collections, collectors, staff and iconic buildings. The archives trace the life of the Museum from its beginnings as part of the British Museum to its opening in 1881 through to the present day.
- Art of Nature: Three Centuries of Natural History Art from Around the World (Judith Magee)
- Chinese Art and the Reeves Collection: Images of Nature (Judith Magee)
- Museum Through a Lens: Photographs from the Natural History Museum 1880-1950 book (Susan Snell and Polly Parry)
- The Art of the First Fleet: Images of Nature (Lisa Di Tommaso)
- The Art of India: Images of Nature (Judith Magee)
- Women Artists: Images of Nature (Andrea Hart)
- South Kensington: Closed until further notice
- Tring: Closed until further notice