- Port Jackson Painter]
- The drawing is inscribed in blue pencil at top right with the number "88", which refers to the pre-1984 numbering system for the Watling Collection.
- The drawing is annotated in brown ink at lower left "A Norfolk Island Hand Adges".
- The drawing is unsigned and undated.
- Norfolk Island was uninhabited when members of the First Fleet arrived there in February 1788, but stone axes such as the one depicted in this drawing were found there in the followingyears, indicating that the Island had previously been occupied. (ref. Merval Hoare in Nobbs, Raymond (ed.) Norfolk Island and its first settlement 1788-1814. Library of Australian History, Sydney, 1988, pp.19-20.)
- The author of this catalogue record is Suzanne Stenning.
- By permission of the trustees of the Natural History Museum (London)
- Two sets of transparencies held in the Natural History Museum (London) Zoology Library and Picture Library: Picture Library order number 12079
- James Lee of Kensington : purchased ; 1902
- Data sheet available.