Mission to Mars: LEGO® Explorers Workshop
Event type: Workshop
Location: Investigate Centre (Green Zone lower Ground Floor)
Suitable for: key stage 2 (ages 7-11), key stage 3 (ages 11-14)
Capacity: 35 students
Duration: 1hr 45 min
£3 per pupil
Pupils will design, create and code a Martian rover using LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 robotics sets in this hands-on workshop.
Exploring and understanding Mars has become one of the key challenges in space exploration. From remote sensing to landing rovers, our Museum scientists are actively involved in learning more about the red planet. But how do we study a planet that is millions of miles away?
In this workshop, pupils work in small teams to design and build a LEGO Martian rover. They then code, test and evaluate their designs.before seeing how their rovers perform on a realistic Martian surface.
This workshop has been created in partnership with the LEGO Group and LEGO Education Partner, Raising Robots
- Pupils discover the importance of space exploration, how our Museum scientists are actively involved and why using models such as LEGO is important for engineers.
- Pupils follow a basic prototype to build a rover, which they will then learn to code using LEGO WeDo 2.0 robotic sets.
- Pupils decide on the aims for their rover and build, to a given specification, appropriate tools for their challenge.
- In an exciting finale, pupils see how their rovers perform on a large-scale realistic Martian surface.
- KS3 classes will also receive an additional challenge to consider the budget and weight of their rover and designs.
Curriculum links: Working scientifically, Earth and space, Forces, Deisgn, Evaluate, Technical knowledge, Computing
This show is bookable for dates up to December 2023, during school term times.
This workshop is for KS2 (ages 7-11) and KS3 (ages 11-14). Maximum capacity per workshop is 35 students.
Please note, the dates listed below are not live and you will need to contact us for availability.
To check availability and to book, please phone the School Bookings team on 020 7942 5000. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.00 - 17.00.
New School Booking Policy
Please be aware that any paid learning sessions for school visits must now be paid by card in full at the time of booking.
Please have card details for payment and the following information ready when calling to book:
- Date and time of visit
- Number of students and adults
- Address of school including postcode (and country if non-UK)
- Name of group leader
- Age range of students
We only accept card payments and no longer take BACS payments for school sessions.
For guidance on booking and how to plan your day, please visit our Essential information page.
Event dates and times
The workshop runs at 10.30am and 12.30pm on the weekdays shown below. The duration is 1 hour 45 minutes.
17, 18, 19, 21
11, 12, 14,1 8, 19, 20, 22, 25, 26, 27
2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 18, 30, 31
1, 3, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 22, 24, 27, 28, 29
4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20
Everything you need to know for a smooth-running day, from where to go for lunch to completing a risk assessment.
School activities in South Kensington
Browse the full range of our school workshops and shows.