Head down to the Museum’s Wildlife Garden for our Butterfly Weekend to celebrate Butterfly Conservation’s Big Butterfly Count.
Help us count and record butterflies and learn more about these colourful and charismatic creatures with activities and displays in the Wildlife Garden, and talks in our Attenborough Studio throughout the weekend.
- get a close-up look at moths collected in the garden’s moth trap with a Museum expert
- add to our Wildlife Garden butterfly count by taking the butterfly trail and posting your sightings on our giant map
- handle real butterflies and moths, and complete butterfly drawings to learn about symmetry
- discover what plants our hungry caterpillars feed on and which flowers are visited for their sweet nectar by fluttering adult butterflies, and create your own paper pot with a butterfly-friendly flower to take away with you
- hear from Museum scientist Natalie Dale-Skey about chalcid wasps, the equally beautiful yet deadly butterfly parasites in our Saturday Nature Live free talk
- discover more about marvellous moths with scientist Alessandro Giusti in our Sunday Nature Live free talk
- see hundreds of live butterflies and moths up-close in our tropical butterfly house at Sensational Butterflies
Visit Herbie this weekend
Enjoy tea sampling and free family yoga sessions on the East Lawn with the team from Pukka Herbs. Look out for Herbie the caravan, open daily 10.00-17.50 until 12 August.