Nature in Lockdown: A Breath of Fresh Air
Competition Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions govern the Nature in Lockdown: A Breath of Fresh Air Photography Competition (thereafter known as ‘the Competition’). The Competition is promoted by the Natural History Museum Trading Company of Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD ("NHM").
Conditions of Entry
1. The Competition is open to UK residents aged 18 or over excluding employees of either the NHM or the Trustees of the Natural History Museum; their subsidiaries, families, agents or affiliates; or anyone involved in running the Competition. If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain written parental or guardian consent to enter and claim your prize. NHM may ask any winner to provide proof of age or evidence of such consent.
2. To enter the Competition you must share a photo or other artwork on your Twitter or Instagram account and include the hashtag #NatureInLockdownComp. This must be posted on your account before the Closing Date (see below). All images must be in landscape format. No payment or purchase of any product is necessary to enter.
3. By submitting your entry, you confirm that it is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws or third-party rights, and that there are no conflicting agreements in place that restrict usage of your entry. You also confirm that you are the sole owner of the copyright in the entry.
4. For entries to be considered for the Competition, photos or drawings should depict an image of local wildlife (animals and plants) during lockdown.
- Photos or drawings should reflect wildlife / the environment during lockdown (e.g. animals, plants, rivers, etc or anything potentially affecting these).
- If photos that are submitted are of an animal or animals, these must not show the animal being treated unfairly.
- Entrants must not do anything to injure or distress an animal or damage its habitat in an attempt to secure an image.
5. You can take your photograph using a camera, phone or tablet.
6. Photographs must have been taken in the UK, and other artworks should depict wildlife found in the UK, as the project has been created to record the experiences of people living in the United Kingdom.
7. Multiple entries per person are permitted.
8. You will retain copyright and moral rights in your photograph however, in submitting your entry you grant to NHM and the Trustees of the Natural History Museum a non-exclusive, royalty free, 3 year, irrevocable worldwide licence together to:
- use your photograph or artwork in connection with the administration of the Competition;
- if it is shortlisted or wins, exhibit your photograph or artwork during 2020 in the Natural History Museum in London and on the Nature in Lockdown: A Breath of Fresh Air webpage https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/anthropocene/nature-in-lockdown.html;
- if it is shortlisted or wins, use your photograph or artwork to promote in any media the displays within the Natural History Museum, with a right to sublicence the same to any third party, including without limitation on the websites and social media channels of the NHM and in print and digital publications.
After such period NHM will stop using your image or artwork but will be entitled to retain archive copies.
9. You will be credited for the use of your photograph. An inadvertent failure to credit you will not be a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
10. In producing the entry, you must not put yourself or anyone else in danger, and must avoid the spread of Covid-19 (coronavirus) by not encouraging touching or sharing objects, not visiting places unnecessarily and by abiding by any social distancing provisions in force under current UK Government guidelines, which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus, together with any applicable legislation.
11. The Competition commences on Tuesday 4 August 2020 at 00.00 BST and concludes on Friday 4 September 2020 at 23.59 BST. Entries received after this time will not be eligible for consideration.
12. Only complete entries will be accepted. The NHM accepts no responsibility for any entries that are lost, incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach it by the Closing Date for any reason.
13. By entering the Competition you confirm to the NHM that all information submitted by you is correct and that you have complied fully with and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. The NHM reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants. Automated entries and entries via third parties or agents will be invalid. Entries that do not comply with these Terms and Conditions (including those containing any false information) will be invalid.
14. Fifteen images will be chosen for the final selection by the NHM Nature in Lockdown Competition team. The final selection will be reviewed by a panel comprised of at least three researchers at the NHM's Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity (the “Judges”). The Competition team and Judges will make their decisions based on the strength of the storytelling and creativity in the image. Due to the high number of images that are likely to be received, no feedback on individual entries will be given. A list of names of the judges can be viewed on this webpage: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/anthropocene/nature-in-lockdown.html.
15. The three winners will be selected from the final selection of images. The decision of the NHM regarding any aspect of the Competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
16. The prize is to have the winning images displayed in the Images of Nature gallery at the NHM during autumn 2020 as well as on the Nature in Lockdown: A Breath of Fresh Air webpage on this webpage: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/anthropocene/nature-in-lockdown.html
17. The winners will be announced by no later than 23.59 BST on Friday 25 September 2020 during an online live event hosted by the NHM.
18. The winners and shortlisted entrants will be contacted via private message to the account that they used to enter the Competition.
19. Once the winners have been announced, the original files of the winning images together with the entrant's name should be sent by email to email@example.com so that they can be printed and displayed in the Images of Nature gallery at the NHM. This applies also to the remaining selection of 12 images, which will also be featured in the gallery.
20. The prize is non-transferable and the winner cannot request any alternative prize (cash or otherwise).
21. NHM will collect personal data about entrants (and the entrant’s parent/guardian where applicable) at the time of registration, and as otherwise provided in order to administer the Competition and/or all associated activities. For more information about how NHM and the Trustees of the Natural History Museum process personal data please see our Privacy Notice at https://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/privacy-notice.html.
22. You further agree to participate in any reasonable publicity required by the NHM which may include the publication of your name and photograph in any media.
23. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the NHM reserve the right cancel, modify, extend or suspend the Competition. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, NHM may, at its sole discretion, exclude an entrant from participating in the Competition or the prize.
24. All details and other restrictions applying to the prize not specified in these Terms and Conditions shall be determined by the NHM in its sole discretion.
25. The NHM reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time on giving notice through its website https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/anthropocene/nature-in-lockdown.html.
26. In so far as permitted by law the NHM will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except to the extent that death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of the NHM or its employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
27. You agree to indemnify the NHM and keep the NHM indemnified against any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense suffered by the NHM as a result of your entry in the Competition, including (but not limited to) any claim of infringement of intellectual property rights made by any third party.
28. You acknowledge that the public may seek to take photos of entries displayed in Museum premises and share them on non-commercial social media. You agree that the NHM will not be required to prevent this from happening and may encourage it for promotional purposes.
29. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with English Law and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.