Create a list of articles to read later. You will be able to access your list from any article in Discover.
You don't have any saved articles.
These Terms and Conditions govern the #ThanksToYou: A Celebration of Urban Nature Competition (thereafter known as ‘the Competition’). The Competition is promoted by the Trustees of the Natural History Museum of Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD ("NHM").
1. The Competition is only open to UK residents aged 18 or over excluding employees of either the NHM or the Trustees of the Natural History Museum; their subsidiaries, families, agents or affiliates; or anyone involved in running the Competition.
2. To enter the Competition you must share a photo on your Twitter or Instagram account and include the hashtag #UrbanNaturePhoto and tag the Natural History Museum. This must be posted publicly on your account before the Closing Date (see below). No payment or purchase of any product is necessary to enter.
3. By submitting your entry, you confirm that it is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws or third-party rights, and that there are no conflicting agreements in place that restrict usage of your entry. You also confirm that you are the sole owner of the copyright in the entry.
4. For entries to be considered for the Competition, photos should depict an image celebrating wildlife (animals and plants) in an urban environment with a visible National Lottery ticket.
Photos should celebrate the wildlife / the environment that can be found in towns and cities (e.g. animals, plants, rivers, green spaces, trees etc).
If photos that are submitted are of an animal or animals, these must not show the animal being treated unfairly.
Entrants must not do anything to injure or distress an animal or damage its habitat in an attempt to secure an image.
Photos must include an image of a National Lottery ticket (paper or digital). Photos that do not include a National Lottery ticket will not be valid.
If the photo includes an identifiable person, then that person must have agreed to its submission to this competition and NHM’s use in accordance with these terms.
5. You can take your photograph using a camera, phone or tablet.
6. Photographs must have been taken in the UK as the Competition has been created to celebrate the wildlife living in towns and cities in the United Kingdom.
7. Multiple entries per person are permitted.
8. You will retain copyright and moral rights in your photograph however, in submitting your entry you grant to NHM and the Trustees of the Natural History Museum a non-exclusive, royalty free, 3 year, sub-licensable, irrevocable worldwide licence to:
use your photograph in connection with the administration of the Competition; and
if it wins, exhibit your photograph on the Natural History Museum's website, email and social media channels
After such period NHM will stop using your image or artwork but will be entitled to retain archive copies.
9. You will be credited for the use of your photograph. An inadvertent failure to credit you will not be a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
10. In producing the entry, you must not put yourself or anyone else in danger, and must avoid the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) by not encouraging touching or sharing objects.
11. The Competition commences on Saturday 18 March 2023 at 00.00 GMT and concludes on Sunday 26 March 2023 at 23.59 BST. Entries received after this time will not be eligible for consideration.
12. Only complete entries will be accepted. The NHM accepts no responsibility for any entries that are lost, incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach it by the Closing Date for any reason.
13. By entering the Competition you confirm to the NHM that all information submitted by you is correct and that you have complied fully with and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. The NHM reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants. Automated entries and entries via third parties or agents will be invalid. Entries that do not comply with these Terms and Conditions (including those containing any false information) will be invalid.
14. There will be one overall winner. The decision of the NHM regarding any aspect of the Competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
15. One image (the “winning image”) will be selected by the NHM A Celebration of Urban Nature Competition team (the “Judges”). The Judges will make their decision based on their views of the strength of the storytelling and creativity in the image of portraying a celebration of nature found in UK towns and cities. Due to the high number of images that are likely to be received, no feedback on individual entries will be given.
16. There will be one prize which will be a year's Family Membership to the Museum as well as a square metre of the new gardens sponsored in their name.
17. The winner will be contacted no later than 23.59 BST on Monday 17 April 2023.
18. The winner will be contacted via private message to the account that they used to enter the Competition.
19. Once the winner has been notified, the winner must send the original files of the winning image together with the entrant's name by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
20. The prize is non-transferable and the winner cannot request any alternative prize (cash or otherwise).
21. NHM will collect personal data about entrants at the time of registration, and as otherwise provided in order to administer the Competition and/or all associated activities. For more information about how NHM and the Trustees of the Natural History Museum process personal data please see our Privacy Notice at https://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/privacy-notice.html.
22. You further agree to participate in any reasonable publicity required by the NHM which may include the publication of your name and photograph in any media.
23. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the NHM reserve the right cancel, modify, extend or suspend the Competition. This may include replacing the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the NHM’s control make it necessary to do so. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, NHM may, at its sole discretion, exclude an entrant from participating in the Competition or the prize.
24. All details and other restrictions applying to the prize not specified in these Terms and Conditions shall be determined by the NHM in its sole discretion.
25. The NHM reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time on giving notice through its website https://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/urban-nature-project/thankstoyou-urban-nature-competition.html
26. In so far as permitted by law the NHM will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except to the extent that death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of the NHM or its employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
27. You agree to indemnify the NHM and keep the NHM indemnified against any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense suffered by the NHM as a result of your entry in the Competition, including (but not limited to) any claim of infringement of intellectual property rights made by any third party.
28. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with English Law and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.