|AdminHistory||The Department held only a small number of books until 1879 when the first considerable purchases were made, ready for the move to South Kensington. A catalogue printed in 1881 comprised 1,297 entries, of which 39 referred to maps. By 1900 the collection was estimated to contain 6,339 volumes, 1,770 memoirs and pamphlets and 252 sheets of maps. Thereafter the library grew steadily, acquiring monographs, serials, maps and manuscripts relating to the whole range of the work of the Department.|
George Savigar was in charge of the Library from 1881 until 1918 when he retired. He was succeeded by J J Mugford, who ran the Library until 1954, and then by Miss RGM Kafka (later Ragge) (1954-1958) and Miss Janet R Wood (later Thornhill) (1959-1962) and R W T Atkins (1962-1982), who transferred to the newly created Department of Library Services in 1975.
The Library was housed in the east basement for many years, moving to the 2nd floor of the east tower in 1962.