Description | This series consists of a volume of special reports for 1908, and then the original typescript reports that were submitted by the keepers and other heads of department to the Director each year from 1917-1918 and from 1921-1987. These were used by the Director as the basis for the abbreviated report published as part of the Return of the British Museum which was printed as a Parliamentary Paper each year until 1938. No reports were published for the years 1939-1962, and from 1963 they were incorporated into the triennial Report on the British Museum (Natural History) published by the Trustees. The special reports for 1908 were prepared by the Keepers and their deputies as a result of a request of the sub-committees on the natural history departments. They deal in detail with the current state of the stored and exhibited collections, research work, accommodation and staffing, and include recommendations for much-needed improvement in all these areas. The reports bear pencil annotations by one or more of the Trustees. The annual reports vary in layout over the years, but generally contain sections devoted to arrangement and conservation of collections, research work in progress, books and papers published during the year, notable acquisitions, visitors and enquiries, the departmental library, and a list of staff for each of the science departments. |