Fossils from Britain
Trace our fossil record through mud, silt, sand and time.
Take a closer look at ancient creatures such as trilobites and ammonites. See preserved shark teeth and spot the fossil fakes in the Fossils from Britain gallery.
Star specimens and exhibits
- some of the few specimens discovered from Britain's age of mammals 65 million years ago
- fossils once thought to be darts flung from the heavens during thunderstorms
- examples of the fossilised plants that form coal
- specimens showing the diversity of life during the early Paleozoic era
- examples of non-fossils often mistaken for the real thing