Enjoy a fun family day out among hundreds of live butterflies and moths in our tropical butterfly house.
The exhibition includes a kaleidoscope of colourful species ethically sourced from Central and South America, Africa and Asia.
Follow the trail through a tropical habitat of flowers, vines and foliage. As butterflies fly overhead, you'll pass chomping caterpillars, glistening chrysalises and busy feeding stations.
Kids can discover fascinating butterfly facts and use a magnifier to admire the intricate details and diversity of these beautiful creatures.
Butterfly house highlights include:
- watching a butterfly emerge from its chrysalis and unfold its wings for the first time
- searching for caterpillars hidden in the foliage, at different life stages and sizes
- seeing butterflies feed on nectar and fruit
- observing butterflies interact with each other
- receiving butterfly-friendly tips and advice from the Butterfly House team
'As one of our planet's most loved insects, butterflies are some of the most interesting organisms. They can see a wider spectrum of colours than us, and have evolved spectacular colour patterns,' says Dr Blanca Huertas, Senior Curator of Butterflies at the Museum.
'With the natural world changing fast, Sensational Butterflies gives us the chance to enjoy a bit of a tropical forest here in the city.'
Based on the distinctive blue morpho butterfly. £12.
Create your own colourful butterflies. £5.
A large and colourful tote bag. £12.
Packed with stickers, quizzes and games. £4.99.
Watch the magic of metamorphosis. £20.
An introduction to biology and behaviour. £12.99.