Life in the Dark
Leave daylight behind and put your senses to the test in this illuminating exhibition.
Meet the creatures that thrive at night, in pitch-black caves and deep in the sea.
Enter the worlds of nocturnal animals and discover how they find their way around their environment, hunt, mate and evade predators.
Venture into the shadows of a bat cave where intriguing characters dwell in the rocky underworld.
Take a deep breath and immerse yourself in the beauty of underwater bioluminescent display and get up-close to the weird and wonderful life which flourishes in the darkness.
What will you discover?
- Encounter live Mexican blind cave fish that don't need eyes to navigate.
- See yourself through the eyes of a cave boa.
- Get hands-on with familiar nocturnal animals.
- Smell the distinctive aromas of the bat cave.
- Enjoy breathtaking live footage from the deep sea.
- Hear a symphony of nocturnal sounds and identify the creatures that make them.
The nearest Tube station is South Kensington on the District, Piccadilly and Circle lines. The station is approximately five minutes’ walk from the Museum's Exhibition Road entrance.
Use the Transport for London Journey Planner to find the quickest route to the Museum.
13 July 2018 until 6 January 2019
Warning: flashing lights
This exhibition contains flashing lights and flickering shadows. While lights do not strobe, those sensitive to flashing lights may find parts of this experience disturbing.