Dino Snores for Kids FAQs
These questions and answers will help you get the most out of your sleepover adventure and prepare you for your night-time experience at the Museum.
1. What age group is this event appropriate for?
Dino Snores for Kids is for children aged 7-11. Guests must be aged 7 to 11 on the night of the sleepover.
2. Why is there a minimum age?
This event and its activities are designed for children aged 7-11. We want to ensure that all guests are able to enjoy the event, so it is for everyone's benefit we ask visitors to keep to this age range.
Please do not purchase tickets for children outside of this age range, as we are unable to allow entry to the event or offer refunds.
3. What do I have to bring?
Each child must bring a sleeping bag, toothbrush, evening snack and some clothes to sleep in (we recommend arriving in clothes you can sleep in to minimise luggage).
- Overnight clothes must be suitable for standing outside in the unlikely event of an evacuation.
- Shoes must be worn at all times in the Museum for health and safety reasons, apart from when you are sleeping.
- We advise you to bring a bottle of water, a pillow, and eye shades for sleeping as some lighting remains on overnight.
- We provide thin foam sleeping mats, but you can bring your own if you prefer.
- For health and safety reasons we cannot allow any inflatable mats or mattresses. If you need to bring your own sleeping mat for medical reasons, please let us know upon booking so we can ensure it meets our health and safety requirements.
- We strongly recommend that you do not bring things that are of financial or sentimental value. The Museum takes no responsibility for loss of or damage to any items belonging to visitors.
- You are not allowed to plug any electrical items into the Museum's sockets during the event.
4. Do we need to bring food?
We recommend that you eat a meal before arriving and bring a small snack for later in the evening.
We do not provide cutlery or plates for eating. Please ensure that you do not bring knives that are sharp or lockable, have blades over three inches or multi-tool knives, as these will be confiscated. A butter knife with a blade of 3 inches or less or plastic cutlery is acceptable.
On arrival, your snacks will be taken to the eating areas, so please store all food for your group in one bag, separate from your other belongings. No food is allowed in the galleries.
In the morning, we provide a cold breakfast of yoghurt, a mini raspberry muffin and apple juice. We cannot guarantee that our breakfast will be nut, gluten or dairy free.
If you or your children cannot eat the breakfast provided, please advise when booking and bring your own breakfast with you. Please ensure that these food items won't need overnight refrigeration. We will collect these items along with your other food on arrival and keep them safe until you need them. Please ensure that you collect your breakfast items in the morning before the breakfast break by asking a member of staff.
At Dino Snores for Kids: Christmas Special, you will also be served a hot meal at dinner time.
We cannot guarantee a nut-free environment. If you or any of the children in your group have any allergies you are concerned about, please confirm this when booking.
5. How many adults are required for each group?
The number of adults required for each group of children are as follows:
- for 1 child, 1 adult required
- for 2-4 children, 2 adults required
- for 5-12 children, 3 adults required
- for 13-20 children, 4 adults are required
- for 21-28 children, 5 adults are required
- for 29-36 children, 6 adults are required
Adults will sleep in the same area as the children in their group. Accompanying adults must be at least 18 years old and show ID upon arrival. One adult in each group will also be asked for their mobile phone number in case we can contact you during the event.
6. Can I add people to my group?
You can add children or adults to your booking if tickets are still available, but if the event is sold out this will not be possible. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
7. Are any consent forms required for the children?
All children who are not accompanied by their parent or legal guardian must have a completed consent form.
The consent forms will be sent to you upon booking and must be returned six weeks before the event.
Children without a parental consent form will not be allowed to attend the event.
8. How do we get to the Museum?
The nearest tube station is South Kensington (on the Piccadilly, District and Circle lines). There is limited street parking on Exhibition Road and Queen's Gate. You can find directions on our Getting here page.
9. What time do I need to arrive and which entrance should I use?
Groups must arrive at the Museum's Queen's Gate entrance by 18.45. You will receive further details about the event by email after booking.
10. Can parents and guardians wait inside until their child is registered?
If you are dropping off a child but not staying for the evening, you can come to the Queen's Gate entrance, but you will not be allowed to enter the Museum.
11. What if I'm running late?
If you think that you may not get here on time please email us.
Please be aware that you may miss some of the activities if you arrive late. We cannot allow entry into the event after 20.00, and no refunds will be given.
12. What is the schedule for the event?
18.45: Doors open, registration and camp set-up
19.45: Welcome and briefing
22.05: Short break
23.15: Get ready for bed
00.00: Lights out
7.00: Wake up
9:30: Dino Snores for Kids finishes. Collect your bags and belongings.
10:00: The Museum opens to the public. You are welcome to stay in the Museum for as long as you wish.
Dino Snores for Kids: Christmas Special may operate on a different schedule.
13. Where will I sleep?
Guests will sleep in Hintze Hall, on the ground floor and the first floor.
The Events team will assign guests to a team and activity schedule. Sleeping areas are different for each team and we cannot guarantee where you will be sleeping in advance nor can we change your location on the night. If you require special assistance related to where you sleep, please inform us upon booking.
14. What are the sleeping arrangements for boys and girls?
Sleeping will be mixed - visitors of both genders will sleep in the same area.
Event and security staff are on hand throughout the night to ensure everyone's safety and comfort. CCTV is in operation throughout the Museum.
15. Is there a cloakroom?
There is no cloakroom available during the event and your belongings will be kept in the sleeping areas. The cloakroom is available as usual when the Museum is open to the public between 10.00-17.30. You can leave your luggage in the cloakrooms during the day before the event. However, you will need to remove all of your belongings by 17.30 and regular rates will apply. The morning after the event you will be able to drop your belongings off at the cloakroom free of charge between the hours of 9am-10am should you wish to stay on at the Museum after it opens up to the public.
16. What are the adults' responsibilities?
Adults are responsible for supervising their group's behaviour throughout the event. This will ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable evening.
Responsibilities include following the team leader's directions, keeping your group together and under control at all times, and making sure your group does not disturb those who are sleeping.
17. Can the adults bring alcohol?
The consumption of alcohol is strictly forbidden at Dino Snores for Kids. If our staff suspect you have been consuming alcohol, our Events Manager has the right to search your bags and test your liquids. If you are caught with alcohol your party will be removed from the event immediately.
In extreme circumstances, anyone behaving inappropriately, for alcohol-related reasons or otherwise, may be ejected from the event at the discretion of the Event Manager and security team.
18. What if one of my group falls ill?
We have first-aiders available to assist.
19. Is this event suitable for a child who has special needs?
Yes. Dino Snores for Kids encourages participation from children with special needs.
Please be aware it is the responsibility of the accompanying adult to ensure that a child with special needs is capable of getting the most from the events and is able to cope in an environment with a large number of other children. We will do all we can to ensure their needs are met wherever possible.
If anyone in your group has special needs, accessibility or health issues please let us know on booking.
20. What if I need to cancel or change my booking?
We cannot offer a refund once you have purchased your ticket.
If you need to amend a confirmed booking the following conditions apply:
- If you need to change the date of your event, we require notice of at least 30 days before the date you originally booked.
- There is a £10 admin charge per ticket for moving your Dino Snores tickets. All ticket transfers are subject to availability and are at the manager's discretion.
- You can only move your booking to an event that is within one year of the date of your original event. After this point we cannot move your ticket.
- You can add children or adults to your booking if tickets are still available (so long as you still comply with our group size requirements), but if the event is sold out this will not be possible. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
- If you are collecting ticket fees from a large group, please keep these booking terms in mind and allow enough time to tell us about any changes in numbers.
- We are unable to confirm a booking until full payment has been received.
- School invoices are payable within 30 days before the event. There is a £5 fee per ticket cancelled if the invoice is reduced from the original request. No changes will be accepted later than 30 days before the event.
Tickets for Dino Snores for Kids: Christmas Special cannot be amended.
21. What if I have to leave early in the morning?
The Museum exits are closed between 23.00 and 7.00 and it is not possible to leave between these times except in an emergency. We do not advise leaving early (as you will miss some of the fun), but if you wish to leave between 7.00 and 9.15 in the morning, please let us know when you book and we will do our best to accommodate you.
22. Can groups of adults book Dino Snores or is it just for children?
Dino Snores for Kids sleepovers are for children aged 7-11. Adults interested in sleeping over at the Museum should book tickets for Dino Snores for Grown-ups.
23. Who can I contact if I have more questions?
If you have more questions about the event please contact the Visitor Events team on +44 (0)20 7942 5283.