Albertopolis

Prince Albert, Queen Victoria’s husband, championed the area around South Kensington as a centre for science, technology and the arts, and from around 1851 a complex of museums, colleges and concert halls developed here. His involvement was so influential that the area, which can be seen clearly from the left hand side of the Minerals Gallery, became known as Albertopolis.

The green dome of the Imperial Institute tower - now part of Imperial College - and those of the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, Imperial College and the dome of the Royal Albert Hall are all in line.

In January 2005, the London Mayor and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea launched a new project to turn Exhibition Road into an attractive new complex for arts and culture for the 21st century, which it is hoped will become a World Heritage Site.