The Central Hall is the heart of the Museum and is an awe-inspiring space that continues to amaze our visitors everyday.
We plan to transform the hall into an exhilarating and inspirational space, affording visitors a sneak preview of the many wonders that lie ahead of them on their journey through the galleries.
Our vision for the wonder bays:
- The 8 wonders bays will act as a snapshot of the natural world and the Museum's work.
- The displays will be updated to reveal the ornate terracotta mouldings and original features.
- Specimens will be displayed in new cases, with dramatic lighting and engaging and informative interpretations panels.
Our vision for the balconies:
- Build new permanent displays.
- Create continuity with the ground floor to re-establish the beautiful architectural balance of the whole hall.
- New exhibits will display iconic specimens, replacing existing tired displays and continuing to open up our vast collections to the public.
- We will feature displays on the history of the Museum, the Waterhosue building, and the many interesting characters associated with this much-loved institution.