No summary available at this time.
A typical letter handwritten by author in English.
Postscript of a letter.
An original MS
Pages with text: 2
part of text currently missing
Letter is incomplete and damaged.
Transcriber: Cooper, Rod
Transcription date: August 7, 2014
Signed off: no
[] [MS damaged] <P.S.>1,2
I have just got a Pricelist of Butt[erflie]s. from a german [sic] dealer.3 He has over 800 S[outh]. American species -- a great many at 2d to 4d each, but also a good many from 5/- to 10/- and upwards. Pap[ilionidae]. Sesotris [sic] is s.1/6d- Morpho Necuba s.50/- no females --[.] Generally the ♀are dearer than the males. If you write to him he will send you the list, and you might also ask him to recommend a good locality for butterflies, -- or to name the best districts he knows for a collector in S[outh]. America. He will be sure to tell you. You might also ask whether he buy any of the species in his list (at 2/- & upwards) at 2/3 the price marked or at what proportion. He [MS damaged] <may> be useful for you to know. Also ask [MS damaged] <if?> you send him sets from any place [MS damaged] <where?> you are, he will have them [MS damaged] that price, or at what average, [MS damaged] also will send you a list of the [MS damaged] <to> guide your future collecting.4 .
[MS damaged] <than?> half except for5
[]6 This can do no harm, and may be <very> [MS damaged] useful to you. His address is --
H. Fruhstòrfer, Zieten-Strasse II.
Berlin W. Germany
1. There is fire damage to the top and bottom left-hand corners, and to the left-hand edge the page.
2. Although the text is damaged, it appears that this correspondence is written as a postscript. It is undated.
3. Fruhstorfer, Hans (1866-1922). German explorer, collector and entomologist.
4. There is a catalogue /reference number inscribed in the bottom left-hand corner of image. It reads: “418779”.
5. This fragment of a sentence is written in the left-hand margin of the page, and is significantly damaged by fire.
6. There is a catalogue/reference number inscribed in pencil in the top left-hand corner of the page. This reads: “44”.
7. There is a stamp below the test, towards the left-hand margin of the page. It reads: Entomology BMNH Library”.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.