Sent by Alfred Russel Wallace, Washington to William Henry Edwards [none given] on 6 April 1887.
No summary available at this time.
A typical letter handwritten by author in English and signed by author.
A photocopy of original MS
Pages with text: 1
Transcriber: Benny, Ruth
Transcription date: April 15, 2014
Scrutiny: 25/04/2014 - Benny, Ruth;
Signed off: no
April 6th 1887
Dear Mr. Edwards
I have just found that I can pass throufh the Alleghany1 by daylight, and as I may not have another opportunity of doing so I wish to take advantage of it. I therefore leave today for Luray2. Tomorrow morning see the Cavern3, then afternoon on to Clifton Forge4 -- sleep there, & on by 7.am. train to Coalbury5 which I shall reach at 3 pm. instead of at 8 am.
As I may miss your letter here I must come on at the chance of finding you at home.
Yours very truly | Alfred R. Wallace [signature]
W. H. Edwards Esq.
1. Alleghany County is a county located in the U. S. state of Virginia.
2. Luray is a town in Page County, Virginia, United States.
3. The Luray Caverns, originally called the Luray Cave is a large, celebrated commerical cave just west of Luray, Virigina, USA.
4. Clifton Forge is a town in Alleghany County, Virginia.
5. Coalbury is located in Kanawha County, West Virginia, United States.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.