Congratulating him on reaching his 90th birthday; referring to Lloyd George's Land Policy and asking for Alfred Russel Wallace's autograph to place inside his copy of Alfred Russel Wallace's "Darwinism".
A typical letter .
Transcriber: Sarvis, Nicole Mary
Transcription date: October 7, 2014
Scrutiny: 07/10/2014 - Benny, Ruth;
Signed off: no
194 Shelbourne Road2
Jan[uary]. 8th 1913.
My respectful &+ hearty congratulations on your 90th birthday. Wonderful; may you see many more.
If the "Daily Citizen"3 is correct, the Landowners in the Liberal Party are making a dead set against Mr. Lloyd George's4 land policy; &+ there may be a "Liberal Split."
I hope you will complete the volume on which you are engaged.5
May I on enclosed P[ost].C[ard]. have your autograph to be attached inside your "Darwinism"6 which I sdo much value?
Yours faithfully | H. Kidner [FJ.G.S]7 [signature]
Dr. Alfred Russel Wallace.
1. Annotated on the upper left of the page "Ackd."
2. Annotated, including square brackets, in pencil above the address "[WP1/8/71]".
3. The Daily Citizen was a labour-leaning, union-backed newspaper produced 1912-1914.
4. George, David Lloyd- (1863 -1945) British Liberal politician. Chancellor of the Exchequer 1908 - 1915; Prime Minister 1916 - 1922.
5. Probably either Wallace, Alfred Russel. (1913). Social Environment and moral progress. Cassell & Co., Ltd, London, New York, Toronto & Melbourne; or The revolt of democracy. Cassell & Co., Ltd. London, New York, Toronto & Melbourne, published in the same year.
6. Wallace, Alfred Russel (1889 and later editions up to 1905) Darwinism; An Exposition of the Theory of Natural Selection With Some of Its Applications. Macmillan & Co., London & New York.
7. Fellow of the Geological Society [of London]. The square brackets in the letter appear to be in Kidner's hand.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.