Sent by E. Hedley, Hull Spiritualist Lyceum, Witham, Hull to Alfred Russel Wallace [address not recorded] on 14 January .
Congratulating Wallace on his 90th birthday on behalf of the officers and members.
A typical letter .
Transcriber: Sarvis, Nicole Mary
Transcription date: September 22, 2014
Scrutiny: 22/09/2014 - Lucas, Paula J.;
Signed off: no
Holborn Hall2, 3
Hull Spiritualists' Lyceum
14th January 1914
Alfred Russell Wallace Esq.
We the officers and members of the above Spiritualists' Lyceum4 desire to express and convey to you our warmest congratulations on your attaining the venerable age of ninety years, and to join with your numerous admirers in the hope that you may be spared still longer to continue to the work in which you have been so nobly engaged.
We desire specially to thank you for the great work you have done for spiritualism, knowing full well as we do, the reputation you were jeopardising in expressing publicly your views on such an unpopular subject.
You have made, Sir, in life a name that that [sic] is honoured, and one that future generations5 will revere, when the time comes for you to join "That innumerable cloud of witnesses"6 we are sure you will be met by those friends who have proved themselves true helpers and friends. The world however needs you yet, and that you may still be able to inspire us is the true wish of
Yours fraternally, | (Mrs) E. Hedley [Signature]
1. Annotated in ink in the top left corner "Answd".
2. Annotated, including square brackets, in pencil above the address "[WP1/8/60]".
3. The number "73" is printed on the top right corner of the page.
4. A Spiritualist Lyceum is the educational wing of a church affiliated with the Spiritualist movement which began in the United States of America in the 1840s.
5. Annotated, including square brackets, vertically in faint pencil in the right margin "[Hedley"].
6. A version of Hebrews 12.1: " Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.