No summary available at this time.
A typical letter handwritten by author in English and signed by author.
Some French translation in parts of the letter in another hand.
An original MS
Pages with text: 2
Transcriber: Sloyan, Victoria
Transcription date: June 20, 2013
Signed off: no
5 Westbourne Grove Terrace
Oct[ob]er. 16th. 1863
Le Mons[ieu]r. H. de Bonvouloir1
My friend Mr Pascoe3 who is going to Paris on Tuesday next will kindly take the box of Eucnemides4 for you & will leave it in charge of Mr. A. Deyrolle5.
In the box you will find a list of the abbreviations used on the locality-ticket6, which will enable you to ascertain the exact locality of each specimen, & on the other side of this sheet I send you the few notes I possess on the habits of the species taken by myself. [] Mr. Janson assures me that none of the specimens sent are Elateride7. Should you find however on a closer examination that there are some specimens of this or any other family not belonging to your group I shall be obliged by your taking the first opportunity of returning them to me.
You can send me the amount agreed on by a bill on a London Banker, or can if you please entrust it to Mr. Pascoe.
When you publish the descriptions & list of the species I shall be much obliged by your sending me two copies of your article.
I remain My dear Sir | Very sincerely yours | Alfred R. Wallace [signature]
P.S. I enclose my photograph & shall be most happy to receive yours. ARW.8
1. Henri de Bonvouloir (b.1838), member of the Entomological Society France
2. French words are written in pencil above words throughout the text.
3. Francis Polkinghorne Pascoe (1813-1893), English entomologist
4. Eucnemidae is a family of beetle.
5. Achille Deyrolle (1813-1865), French entomologist.
6. The ‘y’ in ‘locality’ has been written over ‘ies’.
7. Elateridae is a family of beetle, commonly known as click beetles.
8. Written diagonally in the bottom left corner of the page.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.