Sent by Swan Sonnenschein & Co., London to Alfred Russel Wallace, [Corfe View, Parkstone, Dorset] on 28 April 1898.
No summary available at this time.
A typical letter handwritten by author in English and signed by author.
A carbon copy
Total Pages : 2
Pages with text: 2
Transcriber: Rodwell, Stephen
Transcription date: August 8, 2014
Signed off: no
28' April 81
We are sending you a replicate[?] of Sig S. [revise] as requested. We have entered "The Methodist Times"2 on our free list.
We sent off a copy of the complete proofs to Messr[s] Dodd & Mead3 of New York who have undertaken the publication in America on Monday the 23' April4 but they stipulate to have five clear weeks from receipt of the proofs before publication. This will necessitate postponing publication till June but we shall be glad to have your copy for Index as soon as possible.
[] We regret[?] that it is impos[sible?] to alter the Vaccination5 Diagrams without remaking the blocks.
Yours very truly | [1 word illeg.]6 [signature]
Dr. Alfred Russel Wallace
1. The set of letters with the WCP numbers WCP5041 to WCP5046 and WCP5048 were most likely written in 1898, as this is the year that The Wonderful Century and Vaccination were both published by Swan, Sonnenschein & Co.
2. The Methodist Times. English Methodist newspaper, published weekly from 1885 to 1932.
3. Dodd, Mead and Company. American publishing house, based in New York City.
4. This date contradicts the proposed year in which this letter was written. In 1898, the 23rd April fell on a Saturday.
5. Vaccination a Delusion; Its Penal Enforcement a Crime. Pamphlet written by Alfred Russel Wallace, published in 1898 by Swan Sonnenschein & Co.
6. Swan Sonnenschein & Co. British publishing company founded by William Swan Sonnenschein in 1882. It is unclear whether William personally wrote this letter.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.