Sent by Alfred Russel Wallace, 9 St Mark?s Crescent, Regent?s Park, NW to Macmillan & Co. Ltd [none given] on June 1869.
No summary available at this time.
A typical letter handwritten by author in English and signed by author.
An original MS
Pages with text: 1
Transcriber: Cooper, Rod
Transcription date: February 5, 2013
Scrutiny: 05/02/2013 - Catchpole, Caroline;
Signed off: no
[word illeg.] written for
9, St Mark’s Crescent N.W.
Messrs. Macmillan & Co.3
Dr Henry Lansan[?] the editor of "Scientific Opinion" -- writes me that you have sent the vignette instead of the frontispiece of Orang4, -- which he asked for as you will see by referring to my letter on the subject. He also begs you to send a copy of the Book as the Proprietors will not allow a review of any books not sent them to appear.
Yours very truly | Alfred R. Wallace [signature]
[2 words illeg.] & copy of book sent June 21/695
1. This note, written obliquely in the top left-hand corner of the page, is probably written and dated (i.e., June 18, 1869) by the recipient.
2. This is written at the top of the page. It is not written in ARW’s hand and is probably written for filing or reference purposes.
3. Publishing firm founded in 1848.
4. "Orang". ARW is referring to his recently published book, The Malay Archipelago: The Land of the Orang-Utan and the Bird of Paradise. A Narrative of Travel With Studies of Man and Nature (Macmillan & Co, London, March 1869)
5. This note, written vertically in the left-hand margin, has been made by the recipient in response to ARW’s request.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.