A typical letter handwritten by author in English and signed by author.
An original MS
Total Pages : 4
Pages with text: 4
Transcriber: Hamburger, Esther
Transcription date: March 25, 2015
Scrutiny: 25/03/2015 - Benny, Ruth;
Signed off: no
Oct[ober]. 19 1900
I venture to address you although on but slender grounds of personal acquaintance. My object is this: we have been publishing as a frontis piece in the 'Annals of Botany' yearly the portrait of a botanist along with a short biographical notice of him. This year we intend to bring out one of Richard Spruce3 for which purpose through Mr. Slater of [] Malton we have secured a photograph. You were I know one of his ultimate friends and of these there are but a few alive who could appreciate his scientific labours & merit. Would you be willing to write for our Annals a short biographical notice of Spruce? Herewith I am sending a copy of a notice of Bentham by Sir J. D. Hooker4 which appeared in the Annals. A shorter one of Spruce would suffice.
I beg you will forgive me []5 for thus troubling you, rescribe my impatient to the desire to have a notice of Spruce -- of whom his own generation hardly seems to have measured the capacity of one who from personal knowledge can give it colour hereafter therefrom --
I am, dear Sir, | truly | Isaac Bayley Balfour6 [signature]
Alfred Russel Wallace, Esq. PSD. FRS.
P.S. Should you as I trust may be the casebe willing to write the notice we should wish for it by the middle of November.
1. A stamp in the upper left hand corner depicts a lion and unicorn supporting a crest, encircled by the words "Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, Regius Keeper."
2. 86 is written in the upper right hand corner.
3. Spruce, Richard (1817-1893). English botanist.
4. Hooker, Sir Joseph Dalton (1917-1911). British botanist and explorer.
5. 87 is written in the upper right hand corner.
6. Balfour, Sir Isaac Bayley (1853-1922). Scottish botanist.
Please note that work on this transcript is not yet complete. Users are advised to study electronic image(s) of this document, if available.