Find out about entry to specialist seminars held at the Natural History Museum, how to get to the events, accessibility, and the special arrangements for external visitors to departmental seminars.
Entry to events
- Specialist seminars held at the Museum are free. They are aimed at collections management and research audiences.
- Unless stated otherwise, there is no need to book for collections management or research seminars. But please let the event organiser know if a large group plans to attend.
- Due to the location of departmental seminars, external attendees will need to follow the instructions below. Internal staff can turn up without booking.
- Admittance is at the discretion of the event organiser.
Getting to events
For directions to the Museum, read getting here.
Collections management and research seminars
Generally, these are held in the Flett Theatre on Floor 1 of the Red Zone. This is in a public area of the Museum and visitors can make their own way there. The closest entrance is on Exhibition Road.
View a floor plan of the Red Zone
Departmental seminars and 'SciFri' talks
These are held in a range of venues, usually either the Mineralogy Seminar Room or the Neil Chalmers Seminar Room. Check the individual event listing for details.
Instructions for external attendees
As departmental seminars are held in non-public areas of the Museum, external attendees need to:
- Contact the organiser in advance to let them know you will be attending.
- Arrive at the Museum at least 20 minutes before the seminar start time.
- Sign in at the reception desk at the Exhibition Road entrance to receive a visitor’s pass.
- Wait to be collected from one of the scientific visitor meeting points, usually either the reception desk at the Exhibition Road entrance (for seminars in the Mineralogy Seminar Room) or the Darwin Centre information desk (for seminars in the Neil Chalmers Seminar Room).
Download Museum map showing scientific visitor meeting points PDF (289.0 KB)
Accessibility and special requirements
- The Exhibition Road entrance is step-free. There is step-free access to the Flett Theatre and Neil Chalmers Seminar Room.
- An induction loop is available in the Flett Theatre and Neil Chalmers Seminar Room.
Read our access guide for more information about parking for Blue Badge holders, accessible routes around the Museum, and accessible facilities.