The dinosaur collection at the Natural History Museum contains a variety of Cretaceous material gathered from around the world through expeditions, donations and other acquisitions.
The collection was founded on Gideon Mantell’s collections, which are rich in material from the Lower Cretaceous (Wealden) in Sussex.
Mantell’s collections include two of the three taxa for which Richard Owen coined the name ‘Dinosauria’ in 1841:
Material from the Lower Cretaceous of the Isle of Wight includes the Hulke, Hooley and Fox collections of:
These collections date from the late 1800s to early 1900s.
The Nopcsa Collection dating from 1906 contains fossils from the late Cretaceous island locality in Romania:
The Natural History Museum commissioned 2 collections from Charles H Sternberg:
Material collected by W E Cutler from Mexico Ranch, in Dinosaur Provincial Park was purchased in 1916. It includes:
Sauropods from the latest Cretaceous in India were acquired in the late 1800s to 1900s.
Large collections of Late Cretaceous North American material were purchased in the early 20th century including:
More sauropods resulted from a joint 1988 expedition to the early Cretaceous of Niger involving the Natural History Museum and the University of Kingston.
The holotype of the spinosaur, Baryonyx walkeri, was collected from the Barremian in Surrey in 1983.
A small ornithopod, not yet fully described, was collected from Vega Island in the Antarctic Peninsula in 1989.
Other recent acquisitions include part of the holotype of the allosauroid Neovenator from the Lower Cretaceous of the Isle of Wight.