Education and Qualifications:
2009 MSc in Biological Recording: Collection & Management, Birmingham University & Field
2001 NEBS Introduction to Management (NVQ3), Lambeth College
1991 Applied Biology, South Bank University
2008 - Present Senior Curator (Crustacea) Lower Invertebrates curation team, The Natural
History Museum, London (NHM)
1992 – 2008 Curator of Crustacea, Lower Invertebrates curation team, The Natural
History Museum, London (NHM)
2006 – 2007 (Part-time secondment) Gallery Interpretation Developer, Interpretation &
Design (PEG), NHM
1991 – 1992 Assistant Scientific Officer, Invertebrates Division 2 curation group, NHM
Nature Live sessions (topics): Desert Island specimens, Wonderful Woodlice, It’s in the Blood: Horseshoe crabs, Name Game quiz, Blaschka Glass Model Project.
Members tours: to the Lower Invertebrate section highlighting the Crustacea collection and to the Zoology Blaschka collection/PCU
Public Outreach: NHM Wildlife Garden; Yellow book days & London Garden Squares weekends and STEMNET Science Ambassador Days in Schools
VIP tours of Darwin Centre Phase 1 and Wandsworth for for Corporate Patrons, NHM members and other professional organisations
General care, loans, curation and preservation of spirit, slide and dry collections for the Lower Invertebrate curation group mainly for Crustacea.
Respiriting and reorganisation of the collections; duties include databasing, accession and curation of new incoming and donated material.
Identification of peracarida as part of external consultancy work. Answering enquires and identifications relating to amphipods and isopods (includes terrestrial isopods) from the public and commercial organisations.
Collections management responsibility for the Lower Invertebrates Curation team who are also responsible for the Annelid, Echinoderm, Cnidaria and minor phyla collections.
Supervision of work experience students and volunteers to the Lower Invertebrate section. Also act as scientific mentor to visiting scientists to the Crustacea collections under the European Synthesys Programme.
• Miller C G & Lowe M, 2008. The Natural History Museum Blaschka Collections. Historical
Biology. Taylor and Francis Ltd.
• Lowe M In Leigh C & Ware C 2003. The development of the flora, fauna and environment
of the Wildlife Garden at the Natural History Museum, London The London Naturalist. 82:
• Bamber R N, Cabrinovic A, Clark P F, Glover A, Lowe M & Taylor J 2003. Benthic analysis:
inshore environmental survey off Trinidad (5951), May 2003. Report No. ECM 801G/03,
The Natural History Museum, London. 14pp (D)
• R N Bamber, G A Boxshall, P F Clark, A Gill, M Lowe, A I Muir, R S Robbins & J Taylor,
2003. Benthos of the Peng Chau STW Upgrade Survey, Hong Kong. Natural History
Museum Consultancy Report to Oceanway Corporation Ltd, No.ECM 831/03, March 2003,
• Bamber R N, Chimonides P D J, Clark P F, Lowe M, Muir A I, Taylor J D, 2002. Benthic
analysis: oilfield environmental survey off Gabon (5900), Natural History Museum
Consultancy Report to Gardline Surveys, No. ECM 801B/02, September 2002, 14pp
• Bamber R N, Cabrinovic A, Chimonides P D J, Lowe M, Muir A I, Paterson G L J,Taylor J D,
2002. Benthic analysis: oilfield environmental survey, deep sea off Angola (5765). Natural
History Museum Consultancy Report to Gardline Surveys. No. ECM 800/02, August 2002,
• Bamber, R N, Chimonides P D J, Clark, P F, Lowe, M, Muir, A I, Taylor, J & Whittall, A, 2000.
Benthic analysis: Environmental Survey, Full Sicily-Lybia transect (5362). Natural History
Museum Consultancy Report No. ECM 680D/00, 56pp. June 2000.
• Bamber, R N, Chimonides P D J, Clark, P F, Lowe, M, Muir, A I, Taylor, J, 2000. Benthic
analysis: Environmental Survey, Maltese Territorial Waters (5439). Natural History
Museum Consultancy Report No. ECM 680C/00, 28pp. June 2000.
• Lowe M & Miller C G, 2008. A scientific perspective on the acquisition and of display of The
Natural History Museum Blaschka Collections. Art forms of the ocean exhibition guide.
National Glass Centre.
• Lowe M. 2007. Woodlice wandering through the Wildlife Garden. Nature First Issue 49,
• Lowe M. 2007. What’s it like to work at the Museum. Second Nature Issue 21, NHM. (July)
• Lowe M. & Miller G. 2005. Sculpted in Glass. NHM: the magazine for supporters of the
Natural History Museum. Issue 6.