- complex internal buttresses forming microcanal system around periphery;
- ambulacral and interambulacral zones similar in width at ambitus; pores and tube-feet extending onto interambulacral zones;
- petals well-developed, closed or nearly closed distally;
- basicoronal circlet small, interambulacral elements pointed but not strongly projecting;
- periproct opening oral, between peristome and anal lunule;
- anal lunule present;
- perradial notches or lunules in some or all ambulacra;
- food grooves well-developed, bifurcating at edge of basicoronal circlet and finely subdivided distally.
Miocene to Recent; North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
||Stefanini, G. 1912. Osservazioni sulla distribuzione geografica, sulla origini e sulla filogenesi degli Scutellidae. Bolletino della Societe Geologica Italiana, 30 (1911): 739-754. [often cited as 1911, but published on the 19th January 1912 according to the information on the last page of the paper]