- Profile low domal, relatively thick-shelled.
- Apical disc small, dicyclic. Periproct ovate with small suranal plate. Marginal tubercles ring the periproct. Gonopores open near outer edge of genital plates distal to the raised portion of the plate.
- Ambulacral plating trigeminate. Pore-pairs arranged in single series throughout. One primary tubercle to each compound plate adorally and adapically but two subequal tubercles on ambital plates in type species.
- Deep, elongate pit on perradial part of each horizontal suture.
- Interambulacral plates with central primary tubercle flanked by smaller secondary tubercles on either side at the ambitus.
- Large and sharp wedge-shaped pits along horizontal interambulacral sutures on either side of the primary tubercle extending in from triple suture junctions.
- Peristomial small with almost no buccal notches. Peristomial membrane naked except for 10 small buccal plates.
- Spines short and uniform.
Upper Eocene to Recent; Indo-West Pacific.
Temnotrema sculptum Agassiz, 1863, p. 358, by original designation
- T. sculptum Agassiz, 1863; Recent, Japanese seas.
- T. rubrum (Doderlein, 1885); Pleistocene-Recent, Japan
- T. bothryoides (Agassiz, in Agassiz & Desor, 1847); Recent, Australian seas
- T. elegans Mortensen, 1918; Recent, Western Australia.
- T. siamense (Mortensen, 1904); Recent, Indo-West Pacific
- T. hawaiiense (Agassiz & Clark, 1907); Hawaii Islands
- T. phoinissa Clark, 1926; Recent, Australia.
- T. maculatum (Mortensen); Recent, Malay Archipelago
- T. pulchellum (Mortensen, 1940); Malay Archipelago.
- T. pallescens Clark, 1925; Recent, Philippines.
- T. scillae (Mazzetti, 1894); Recent, Indian Ocean and Indo-West Pacific.
- T. reticulatum (Mortensen, 1904); Recent, Malay Archipelago.
- T. morganensis (Phillips, 1969); Miocene, Australia.
|Classification and/or Status
Euechinoidea; Camarodonta; Temnopleuroida; Temnopleuridae.
Closely related to Temnopleurus but differentiated from that taxon by its small, non-crenulate tubercles, and by having well developed sutural pits over the oral surface of the test.
Mortensen, T. 1943. A monograph of the Echinoidea Part III.2, Camarodonta 1. C. A. Reitzel, Copenhagen.