How we support your visit
Find out about how we support you during your visit to the Museum's collections.
During your visit to the collections we will:
- provide you with access to the collections
- provide an area for you to work
- help you locate material in our collection
- help you locate relevant literature
- provide you with basic tools and a microscope where possible
- assess and process loan requests you may have resulting from your visit
- provide you with access to any facility that you have asked to use and agreed to pay for under the facilities charges, such as the Imaging and Analysis Centre
Please discuss with your host any equipment, including specialist equipment, you may need or wish to bring. PCs may be available on a limited basis for word processing, email and internet access. In some areas we also have wireless access. Charges apply to the use of copiers and colour printers.
Library and Archives
- items ordered in advance of an appointment will be brought to the public reading room for consultation - no on the day retrievals are provided
- desk staff will advise and assist readers with the handling the collections
- reference material is provided in the reading room
- public Wi-Fi and power is available for the use of readers with their own laptops
- a book scanner is available for the use of readers
Further information is available at Library and Archives .
Rules and regulations for accessing the collections
The Museum's collections are of worldwide significance. To help us ensure we can preserve the them as a scientific resource for future generations we ask visitors to observe these rules when
- organising a visit to the collections
- visiting our collections and core research laboratories
- corresponding with staff after the visit.