Skip navigation
475 Views 4 Replies Last post: Apr 28, 2014 10:51 PM by Steve Jelf RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2014 5:33 PM

Poison Ivy

Hello, my grandma has been suffering from a poison ivy rash for around 7 weeks now and it won't budge, even with treatment... I'd like to know:
1. Do any poison ivy plants exist in the UK?

2. How could she have come into contact with the oil that causes the rash?

 

NB: She has not travelled abroad; the rash is still present and more spots have recently been forming, they are on most parts of her body.

 

Hope you can help, many thanks in advance!

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2014 10:11 PM (in response to Arian Curtis)
    Re: Poison Ivy

    Hi

     

    Sorry to know your Grandmother is suffering why do you say its a  Poison Ivy rash, the urushiol oil is apparently found in Cashew nuts, Mango  and Gingko

    I imagine its possible to be effected by Asian lacquer pens/ furniture

     

    Steve

    • Report Abuse
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2014 10:22 PM (in response to Arian Curtis)
    Re: Poison Ivy

    Arian,

     

    I feel sorry for your Grandma - 7 weeks of itching!

     

    Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) does not grow wild in the UK, and it has not been introduced as far as I know. From its native ranges and climate in N. America and Asia, however, I would expect that it would grow in the UK. So I would not rule it out.

     

    But I wonder why you are considering poison ivy, or referring to 'poison ivy rash'.

    You can check the diagnosis here, for instance

    - http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/poison-ivy-oak-or-sumac-topic-overview

     

    Note that there are many garden and wild plants that can cause rashes. Most of them are included in this list (which is of broader scope)

    - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=524

    That's really just to qualify my saying 'many'. It does not help you directly to ID what might be culprit in this case.

    (And are we sure it was a plant that caused the reaction?)

     

    There are many treatments mentioned on the internet, eg.

    - http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Poison-Ivy-and-Poison-Oak

    But:

    - I really couldn't say how effective or safe they are

    - any treatment may have caveats on its use, including dangers of prolonged use (and I find your seven weeks worrying)

     

    There are lots of medical questions here, and I am not qualified to provide medical advice.

    The main thing I suggest is getting professional advice. If you have done that, resulting in the 'treatment' you mention above, it is definitely a medical issue that needs continued/further professional medical advice.

    If you are not happy with your GP in this case, you can ask for another opinion and/or a referral to a skin specialist.

     

    Mike

    • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)

What the symbols mean

  • "correct" answer available
  • "helpful" answer