Skip navigation
6282 Views 4 Replies Last post: Apr 28, 2014 10:51 PM by Steve Jelf RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2014 5:33 PM

Poison Ivy

Hello, my grandma has been suffering from a poison ivy rash for around 7 weeks now and it won't budge, even with treatment... I'd like to know:
1. Do any poison ivy plants exist in the UK?

2. How could she have come into contact with the oil that causes the rash?


NB: She has not travelled abroad; the rash is still present and more spots have recently been forming, they are on most parts of her body.


Hope you can help, many thanks in advance!

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2014 10:11 PM (in response to Arian Curtis)
    Re: Poison Ivy



    Sorry to know your Grandmother is suffering why do you say its a  Poison Ivy rash, the urushiol oil is apparently found in Cashew nuts, Mango  and Gingko

    I imagine its possible to be effected by Asian lacquer pens/ furniture



    • Report Abuse
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2014 10:22 PM (in response to Arian Curtis)
    Re: Poison Ivy



    I feel sorry for your Grandma - 7 weeks of itching!


    Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) does not grow wild in the UK, and it has not been introduced as far as I know. From its native ranges and climate in N. America and Asia, however, I would expect that it would grow in the UK. So I would not rule it out.


    But I wonder why you are considering poison ivy, or referring to 'poison ivy rash'.

    You can check the diagnosis here, for instance



    Note that there are many garden and wild plants that can cause rashes. Most of them are included in this list (which is of broader scope)


    That's really just to qualify my saying 'many'. It does not help you directly to ID what might be culprit in this case.

    (And are we sure it was a plant that caused the reaction?)


    There are many treatments mentioned on the internet, eg.



    - I really couldn't say how effective or safe they are

    - any treatment may have caveats on its use, including dangers of prolonged use (and I find your seven weeks worrying)


    There are lots of medical questions here, and I am not qualified to provide medical advice.

    The main thing I suggest is getting professional advice. If you have done that, resulting in the 'treatment' you mention above, it is definitely a medical issue that needs continued/further professional medical advice.

    If you are not happy with your GP in this case, you can ask for another opinion and/or a referral to a skin specialist.



    • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)

What the symbols mean

  • "correct" answer available
  • "helpful" answer