Skip navigation
852 Views 1 Reply Last post: Nov 28, 2013 3:37 PM by MWJB RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2013 12:56 PM

What is this type of web/nest called?

There is a spider in my downstairs bathroom that I had thought had been dead for ages, because it looks vaguely like it has been wrapped up in spider silk.  There is a lot of inter-spider violence in my downstairs bathroom, so this seemed creepy but not impossible. 


However, today I noticed it walking about!  I've never seen a nest quite like the one this critter is living in.  It's not a nest per se.  Or at least, it's been there flippin' ages and there's no sign of babies.  It's not like a full web either, its almost like a tiny web cave that the spider spends most of its time in.  But it isn't as comprehensive as the term cave implies.  You can see the spider in there, it's just a little obscured.  Kind of like its in a silk jacket.


There are loads of webs and other spiders living in the lampshade (s)he lives in, so I don't know if spider has a 'normal' web as well.  When I saw it, it was jumping quickly out of its silk jacket to grab a fly that had hit someone or others web, and carried it back to its little cubby hole.


I've no decent photos of the spider really, because it's shy.  I'm not as interested in finding out what type of spidey this is as I am in someone telling me what this web house is called!  But, on the offchance that they will help, I have attached some fairly rubbish photos of the lil thing, including one where it is in its barely-visible silky place.



  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2013 3:37 PM (in response to Akerman)
    Re: What is this type of web/nest called?

    Hi Akerman,


    This is a missing sector orb weaver, probably Zygiella x-notata. Very common on the exterior of window frames, but they find their way indoors too. They hide out in their silken retreats during the day, occasionally darting out to take advantage of any prey/investigate any disturbances in the web. Later, in the evenings, they tend to hang vertically in the centre of their orb webs.


    The main webs in your photos don't look typical, I guess because of the environment in which the spider has had to adapt to. The webs tend to be the classic orb web, with 2 missing sectors, when established parallel to a window pane, for instance (again, with a silken retreat at the corner).

    • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)