Hi found this what looks like a false widow spider. Caught it and kept it in a tin was so scared moved the family round to stay at my mums I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before and if it is dangerous. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
I say this as an ex-arachnophobe, who has a host of intensely embarrassing "screaming like a girl & running away from spiders" stories ;-) - your reaction to finding a spider in your home is grossly disproportional to any tangible risk faced by you, or your family.
This is not a false widow spider, but even if it had been, they are not dangerous...a bite may have similar symptoms to a bee sting, a bit of reddening & swelling for a couple of days, maybe feeling a little under the weather. people with compromised immunity & allergies should excercise caution, any signs of infection (as with any bite/sting/cut/graze) should be examined by a health professional.
The spider in your photo is an Amaurobius species, I can't tell which from the photo. They are also known as lace weavers and very common, native spiders, found on the outside & occasionally inside our homes. They are able to bite, but this is very unlikely (these are the most common species of spider I see in my own home) and, again, symptoms may vary from a pin prick, to a pin prick with a little aching & swelling.
Thanks for your prompt response. Was having a bad day yesterday had a gas leak in my house and then when this I totally freaked. I'm not usually that afraid of spiders usually catch them and put them out. Think it's because of all the media hype everyone is totally freaking out about these spiders. I looked up these spiders although mine didn't look exactly like them I didn't want to rule it out as the skull marking was so visible. I'm in Scotland so haven't heard of any cases of them coming this far up think its too cold for them up here lol, as their used to the heat coming from the canaries originally. I have heard they have been around for over a 100 years and no one has ever died of a bite. Thanks for taking the time to post back. Your information is really useful. Thanks again much appreciated.