Skip to page content
Just a couple more rocks following on from my last post that I would be grateful if someone could identify for me, thanks.
1. probably quartzite
2. can't really tell from the photo, bu I would guess at flint
3. probably a fine-grained, probably volcanic, rock such as basalt, with fine veins of a probably-iron-rich mineral
4. probably an iron-rich siltstone
5. could be any of several rock types
Much more information is needed for useful ID of these stones.
That information would come from:
- cutting and polishing, then inspecting with a hand lens or binocular microscope (the uncut surfaces, too)
- cutting a thin section and studying it through a petrological microscope (to identify the minerals and their textures)
- researching the outcrops they came from (in a beach environment this option is often absent, and beach gravels can turn out to have been imported from elsewhere)
Good answer Mike.