Skip navigation
507 Views 5 Replies Last post: Oct 21, 2013 10:05 PM by Tabfish RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2013 6:33 PM

what is this ?

i found this today when i collected some sandstone rocks for the garden. what could it be ??2013_10160001.JPG2013_10160005.JPG2013_10160026.JPG

 

this was found under the foundations of a house in surrey

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2013 7:22 PM (in response to dino)
    Re: what is this ?

    I Am not an expert but it could a spine, made up of a few vertebrae.  It could be off a plesiosaur, but I think Surrey has land based dinosaur fossils so it could be off a megalosaurus.  If it is a megalosaurus spine it is rare, but it also could be a large piece of an ammonite. There is about a 10 percent chance of it being a spine and a 90 percent chance of it being an ammonite.  If it's of an ammonite it's a very large specemin.

    • Report Abuse
      • Currently Being Moderated
        Oct 16, 2013 8:17 PM (in response to dino)
        Re: what is this ?

        Ammonite

        • Report Abuse
      • Currently Being Moderated
        Oct 16, 2013 8:46 PM (in response to dino)
        Re: what is this ?

        Hi Dino

        It is the outer whorle of a lower cretaceous hetromorph ammonite called Tropaeum bowerbanki.

        It is from the lower greensand - ferruginous sands, Isle of Wight although you can find them in other areas around the U.K it looks about the same size and preservation as the ones we have collected on the island.

         

        Tabfish

        • Report Abuse
      • Currently Being Moderated
        Oct 21, 2013 10:05 PM (in response to dino)
        Re: what is this ?

        Hello Dino

        Please see below an image of a similar ammonite to yours, we found this on the I,W many years ago but it is poorly preserved.

        Because it was our first big ammonite we have kept it.

         

        Tabfish

        Attachments:
        • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)