Skip navigation
1039 Views 1 Reply Last post: Sep 21, 2013 8:31 AM by MWJB RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 11:51 PM

What type of spider is this?

Hiya. I'm new to this but thought I would ask experienced people on the species this is.

I live in the UK (Hampshire) and have found this weird looking spider, it's body is shiney and if you look at the pic closely you can see it has 4 indentations on it. I've never seen a spider like this.

It's in my summer house above the door that I go in a lot

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2013 8:31 AM (in response to yola)
    Re: What type of spider is this?

    Hi Yola,


    She is a Steatoda nobilis, very common in Hampshire & the Isle of Wight...widespread accross the Southern UK too (looking at one in my living room right now). They do love porches, conservatories, window frames/sills & many other man made structures, but are really quite shy of human contact. As the weather cools & food sources dry up, she will most likely retreat in to a hiding place for the winter. She may re-emerge early Spring, she looks a fair size, so hard to say whether this is her last season, or not?


    Regards, Mark.

    • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)

What the symbols mean

  • "correct" answer available
  • "helpful" answer