Skip navigation
946 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jul 16, 2013 8:55 AM by Afterforty RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2013 8:03 PM

What type of fly is this?

Hi over the last few days we are getting a few of these inside every day...can anyone help. I would like to know more about it..

  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2013 6:20 AM (in response to Tandemsandy)
    Re: What type of fly is this?

    When I first saw your post I didn't know what it was. But I may have stumbled across the answer. Lots of flies have a black stripe on a reddish background, particularly tachinids, but they don't all have those little pale triangles. I wonder if it's a Hybomitra species, which are a type of horsefly. Is that any help?

    See -

    • Report Abuse
    • Currently Being Moderated
      Jul 16, 2013 8:55 AM (in response to jaguarondi)
      Re: What type of fly is this?

      @jaguarondi well done!


      "A medium-large horsefly that is highly variable in appearance, with some specimens having extensive red at the base of the abdomen whilst others are all-black. Females and males have very long hair fringes on the anterior and posterior surfaces of the mid tibiae. Males have a long posterior hair fringe on the hind tibiae which helps distinguish them from males of the scarce bog-loving H. lurida. Female H. bimaculata have three dark stripes across the eyes.

      H. bimaculata inhabits a variety of habitats, including a range of wetlands and open-structured wet woodland. The males can sometimes be observed hovering, like strange-looking blackish hoverflies. The predatory larvae develop in wet soil, wood detritus and even waterbird nests."

      from Steven Falk's set of photographs, here:

      • Report Abuse

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked by (0)

What the symbols mean

  • "correct" answer available
  • "helpful" answer