I think it might be a piece of banded flint, but let me ask:
- Whereabouts do you live? (so I can gauge the local rock types)
- What is the soil like in your garden? (clayey, sandy, chalky, peaty, shingly...)
- Do you find any fossils in your garden soil? (if so which ones, or please post photo(s))
- How hard is the specimen? (about as hard as glass?)
- Do the bands form rings round the specimen, or a spiral?
Hi, I live in Southampton, Hampshire. My husband and I recently dug up most of the garden, we have very shingly soil but have never found any kind of fossil before. The bands form rings around the stone and it is very hard, my husband just tried to bite it and never made a mark lol, hope this helps.
Thank you for replying so quicky
That's useful, thanks.
I think that confirms it as banded flint.