The Journey to SCAN: A Schistosomiasis Collection at NHM
Department of Zoology, NHM.
TUESDAY 13th December
Neil Chalmers Science Seminar Room (DC.LG16)
A common integrative theme bringing together research, DNA storage and collections management runs through a number of ongoing Biomedical Parasitology group activities. Much of this is represented in the SCAN project which aims to develop a research repository at NHM using existing and new collections of schistosomiasis-related specimens. The journey towards SCAN has passed through a number of steps and side-projects which will be reviewed, including:
- Developments in ambient DNA sampling and storage;
- DNA sampling trials from chemically-fixed museum specimens;
- Consolidating decades of research specimens;
- New data collection methods;
- Working with the new molecular collections facility to develop a biorepository infrastructure.
For additional details on attending this seminar see http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/seminars-events/index.html